While the council has some control over what is spent by the summer village, some expenses are imposed outside of our control.
1. Education taxes - this is the largest portion of your tax bill. The school taxes represent anywhere from 55% to 60% of your total tax bill. This is a provincially regulated amount and we don't get to say anything about it. The summer village is responsible for collecting all of the requisitioned funds, and if someone doesn't pay their taxes, we still have to make the payments to the school boards.
2. The utilities and services that we have to supply are substantial portion of our costs. Electrical ( Street Lights and Power to the hall), Gas ( Hall) and waste management, road maintenance(snowplows) and Fire Services manage to eat up nearly 30% of the budget. Some of this is offset by available grants from other levels of government.
3. As in most businesses the next biggest single category of expenses is the money paid out for wages. Maintenance, Administration and council expenses add up and while we don't have outside payroll costs, we still have to pay the people that put the time in to make the Village run.
4. A Short list of ongoing expenses includes: Assessment fees, Accounting fees, Insurance, Memberships in Associations and support for lake preservation - Water for Life and Watershed Society.
5. This doesn't cover unforseen expenses that crop up whether it is Man-made or Natural, your council has to respond to the situation and maintains a reserve to cover these costs.
6. Projected capital costs and updates to roads and infrastructure, While we aren't looking at LRT's and a new arena ( we have lots of ice close by) there are still things that need to be done to provide safe and enjoyable livings spaces for our residents.
We have a file with the lot numbers and legal land descriptions for the summer village. This is currently updated to show new lots and updates, the new file is posted now
If you believe your own or any other assessment is unfair, you may file a written complaint to the Assessment Review Board. Pursuant to Section 460 of the Municipal Government Act, a complaint must be made on the prescribed form and accompanied by the required filing fee (if any).
This will take you to the taxpayer information site for the Summer Village